Title: Duty Forever
Author: Rauhnee Ranshanka
Email: GateKat@SWATKats.net
Fandom: SWAT Kats
Rating: PG
Summary: I like killing things in short pieces, though this one's pretty light for the subject. Sockii wanted a story of 500 words or less starting or ended with 'the rest is silence'. 306 words.
Series: Duty Forever #1
Spoilers: Assume the entire TV series.
Pairing: Jake Claswson/ Chance Furlong
Codes: Slash (M/M), Violence, Death, Established Relationships
Status: New. Finished.
Date: September 25, 2000
Website: http://www.Shadowynd.com/~rauhnee
Witnesslist Category: Inadmissible In Courtgory
Archive: Yes to: BlackNet, CKoS, DeathFic, haven-of-fic, RareSlash, TheRestIsSilence, TranformationFic, Witnesslist, WWOMB
All Others: Just let me know where.


And the rest is silence.

Gods how I wish.

It's true, you know; there is life after death. Well, at least for some of us.

For me.

Don't know about heaven or hell, but I'm definitely dead and I'm definitely still here.

Well, I'm here and what little's left of my body is down there somewhere, buried inside my jet and under a hundred stories worth of rubble. Fitting coffin for a SWAT Kat, really.

It didn't hurt nearly as much as I figured it would, the death blow and the dying, but then I took a heavy AA round to the head. Even if my body was alive for a while, there was nothing to report the pain to. I think I'm grateful for that.

Not sure what happened in the next half hour or so, cause the sun has moved my the time I saw anything again.

Well, I heard it first.

The screaming. The calls for help, for succor. I heard the whole damn city. Every Kat, Kantin ... every adult and child in pain. Every one that was scared for their life or the life of another.

Let me tell you, it's a fast way to get a first rate migraine.

Then vision kicked in.

The city is a mess, that much is clear, but I godda tell you, it's killer disorienting to see so many different scenes at once, all layered on each other and try to sort them out.

Then I felt a presence behind me. Well, not quite _felt_ but that's as close as I can come to explaining it to some who hasn't been there.

"Hi buddy." His voice is unmistakable.

I can't help but smile at my lover and partner as I turn and see his ghostly form, in his prime again. My handsome tabby. "You got stuck here too?"

"Yah, figured out how to make the screaming stop?"