Title: Everything You Want
Author: robin
Email: robin99@chickmail.comil
Fandom: X-Men (movie)
Rating: PG-13 for possible violence in later instalments
Summary: Three years post-movie, Rogue has a new nightmare.
Disclaimer: Rogue, Logan and the rest of the gang belong to Marvel and Fox. The title of the fic is a Vertical Horizon song, which I will be using later.
Archive: Anywhere that already has my other stories up. Otherwise, please send me the site URL.
Feedback: Pretty please, with leather-clad Wolverine's on top, to robin99@chickmail.comil
Notes: This is my attempt at a longer fic about the Rogue/Gambit/Logan triangle.


The nightmares started coming a few days after he left.

She knew they were his nightmares, but that knowledge was not enough to keep them from returning the next night and all the nights after.

She thought she was going to go mad... but then she'd remember that he'd been living with the same nightmares for over fifteen years, and she would resolve yet again to be strong.

After a year and a half, they stopped coming every night. Then they stopped coming every week. She was smart enough to be grateful when she only had the nightmares once or twice a month. At the same time, she couldn't help feeling sad because she'd lost a bit more of Logan...

And then Remy arrived at the mansion. Ororo had met him in town, and recognized him as a mutant. Even though he hinted at his shady past, he wanted to join the X-Men and it wasn't too difficult for Ororo to convince the rest of the team to admit him.

He was a handsome sweet-talker and quickly won the hearts of many of the females residing at the mansion. But it was Rogue he noticed, and any spare time from X-Men business was spent trying to get Rogue to notice him back.

At first, she refused his charms, not understanding why anyone would want to pursue a relationship with her when she literally couldn't be touched. Remy was persistent, though, and it was just a matter of time before he found a place in her heart.

A few months after she'd met Remy, she started dreaming. Silly dreams where he would scoop her up in her arms, hold her tight, and they would kiss until she woke up in the morning.

But the nightmares still came.

They were always the same. Confusion, fear and pain accompanied the images of the lab, convincing her that she was the test subject, not Logan.

She must cry out when things got intense because sometimes, when she opened her eyes, Remy would be at her side, carefully stroking her hair and murmuring in French.

Once, she tried to describe what she saw in the nightmares to him, but he couldn't understand. The next time she started to tell him about her nightmares, he told her to hush and go back to sleep, which was just as well because she didn't really want to share the frightening images in her head with anyone.

Tonight, what she saw terrified her more than Logan's nightmares ever would again.

When she'd broken free of her nightmare and found Remy beside her, all she could do was gasp, "Get Jean an' the Professor."

Fortunately, Remy recognized the urgency in her words and left quickly to wake the two telepaths.

As she tried to remember what she'd seen in her dream, she hoped it was just that - a dream, and that none of it were true. But the pain had been so real this time and she was so sure...

Rogue was absentmindedly pulling her gloves on when Remy returned. Behind him, the Professor, Jean, and a dishevelled Scott crowded into her room.

Before anyone asked, she blurted out, "Ah had a nightmare. I saw Logan an' he was hurt. Dyin' even!"

Jean stepped forward and sat on the bed.

"Are you sure?" she asked gently, concern in her eyes.

She knew about the nightmares. Rogue still carried Logan's memories and they were enough to manifest in the form of nightmares. They were probably the same ones Logan himself suffered from.

But they were nightmares and that was it. Rogue certainly didn't have a direct link with Logan, did she?

The Professor interrupted Jean's thoughts with his observation. "She believes in what she saw."

Rogue nodded quickly and the words spilled out in a jumble. "Ah do! Ah saw him; Ah know Ah did. He's callin' out for help but he's alone an' he's in so much pain. Ah know it sounds crazy but Ah can feel what he's feelin'. There's so much blood an' he thinks he's dyin'. We have to find him!"

She started crying and Remy came to her side to wipe at her tears with his handkerchief. She tried to smile up at him; he looked so worried for her.

The Professor quietly told Jean and Scott to get ready to leave, and the two X-Men nodded, slipping out of the room.

In a louder voice, the Professor said, "Rogue, I will use Cerebro to locate Logan. Scott and Jean will go to him and bring him back."

"I want to go with them," Rogue tried to say firmly, but even she could hear the desperation in her voice.

The Professor shook his head. "No, Rogue, you need to stay here. You're still shaken..."

She knew what he wasn't saying; she would only get in the way if she tagged along. That was the last thing she wanted to do.

"Ok, I'll stay here," she said softly.

As the Professor wheeled out of the room, Remy assured her, "They will find him, chere."

He wrapped his arms around her and she buried her head into his chest, praying he was right.