Title: Breaking The Ice
Author: Tellie (Slayer Spike)
Email: slayer_spike@softhome.net
Fandom: Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Rating: PG-15
Summary: Oz broke Willow's heart. She runs into Spike. I've also changed a few bits. Oz still left but Spike never got the chip. Tara & Willow aren't an item- since Oz only just left. Riley and Buffy are together.
*Nominee for BBF fic awards!*
Series: For What It's Worth... I Love You (Fic 3/?)
Sequel to: Talk Over Ice-Cream
Season: 4
Pairing: Willow/Spike
Disclaimer: I own nada! Zippo! Bubkus! Nothing! Joss is the great ruler or all these wonderful things.
Archive: Ask me.
Dedication: Mina, Susanne and Vampie. My inspirers. Omega h for being a really great friend. Congrats!!! You know what I mean.
Notes: < > = Thoughts. * * = Emphasis.


Willow clutched to Spike, ducking her head as Heath Ledger got a sword through his gut. "No, not Heath." She mumbled.

Spike looked down at the girl clutching to his shirt and raised an eye-brow. He coughed lightly to get her attention. When she looked up she yelped and moved back, looking back at the screen. A few seconds later she was crying and Spike pulled a tissue from his duster, handing it to her with a roll of his eyes. "Bloody American women." He muttered as she wiped the tears from her eyes and blew her nose.


As they walked out of the cinemas they were silent. "Bloody Americans."

"What about us?" Willow asked.

"That wasn't 'ow it 'appened. An' why the 'ell did they have two Australians as lead characters?"

"Heath Ledger is a great actor! Not to mention Mel Gibson!" Willow protested, jabbing Spike in the stomach.

"Right. Both pansies if you ask me. 'Specially that pretty boy Ledger."

Willow glared at the blond. "Don't you dare started mocking Heath." She growled.

Spike raised his eyebrow at her then smiled. "Oooh, Heath. My lovely Heeeeeath. Come on, let's shag." He said in a high falsetto voice, earning a funny look from an old man that past them. "Pan-sy! 'E's worse than Paingel."

Willow slapped Spike lightly on the arm. "Stop it." She hissed in a somewhat playful tone.

Spike chuckled. "Pet, you just hit a master vampire."

The red head paled slightly and stepped away a fraction, looking at him with a little fright. "You're gonna kill me now aren't..."

Spike put a hand over her mouth. "I'm not going to kill you *yet*." He gave her a heavy sigh. "I'll tell you when to run. I like givin' chase."

The girl nodded as his hand moved away. "Spike?"

"Yes, Luv?"

"Are you going to go back and find Drusilla some day?"

"Maybe in 50 years or so. Unless I'm with someone else."

She gave him a funny look. "You pretty much just called her your second choice." The girl smiled.

Spike blinked a few times. "'Ey, yeah. I did!" He started grinning happily. "Well, looks like I'm gettin' over 'er then."

Willow looked down sadly. "But not me."

The vampire put an arm around her shoulder, squeezing lightly. "Come on, Pet. Chin up. Tell me this... did you ever like anyone else while you were with him?"

"Well, Xander. When you kidnapped us... Oz and Cordy kinda caught us... kissing."

The blond chuckled. "Trust me to royally screw up something like someone else's relationship." He sighed, looking up at the stars as they walked. "D'you ever think what'd be like if you were married to 'im?"

Willow nodded slowly. "I tried not to think about it though because for some reason I couldn't see him as a husband. Mine anyway. I could see him with heaps of people I knew. Just not me. Isn't that strange?"

Spike nodded. "One more question then we'll see if you're on your way to leavin' 'im be'ind. When you two were together... did you ever picture anyone else?"

Willow looked up in confusion. "What do you mean?"

The vampire chuckled at her innocence. "When you were shaggin'. Or... kissin'. Did you ever picture someone else?"

The red head blushed as the question sunk in. "W-well... that's kinda... personal, isn't it?" She asked, trying to avoid his gaze.

Spike nodded. "Who'd you think about?"

Willow gasped. "How'd you..."

"I can tell, Pet. After a few decades with Angelus and Dru you pick up a few pointers."

"I wish I knew." The hacker grumbled, kicking at a stone as her hands stuffed further down into her pockets.

<You're low, Spike. Makin' conversation with a mortal. *Helping* a mortal. Pathetic. Poor excuse for a demon you are.> "I, uh," He choked on his words for a second. <Want to eat you now.> "I could teach you." He blurted out and finally rolled his eyes angrily at himself, stamping his foot at his idiocy, in hopes it would get some of his anger out. He looked down to see Willow smiling. "Just tell me when and where." He added. <And you thought Heath bloody Ledger was a pansy!>

The girl smiled up at him, her eyes sparkling a little. "Really?" She asked in an almost excited voice. Getting taught anything was exciting to her and this just seemed a little bit more special. Considering who was proposing the offer and what the offer was. She suddenly looked serious. "What do you want in return?" Her voice was a little lower as she asked the question, obviously cautious of what he'd ask.

Spike smirked. "You wouldn't know of a place I can stay, would you?"

Willow looked up and sighed. "My parents..." She couldn't believe she was saying this. "My parents..." She started again. "Left their house to me while they're living in Greece." She finally stated. "You can..." Taking a deep breath she exhaled the words, her eyes closed tightly. <Why am I doing this?> "Stay there." The girl finally finished. The blond smiled down at her. <Wow, his eyes sparkle. He should smile more.> A tiny smile lit up her own face.

<Let's get one thing straight, Spikey. She's mortal. You're teaching her a few things until she's ripe for the picking then when the moment is right... you're going to kill her and then the slayer.> "Thanks, Pet." He said as they started walking again.

Willow's mouth dropped. "Are vampires supposed to say that?"

<No.> "Some...times." He said slowly.

Willow smiled. "No they're not."

"'Ow would you know?" He asked, straightening up his stance, his head held a little higher.

"I can tell when you're lying." She said with a grin.

Spike frowned. "How?"

"I don't know. You don't lie too well. I can tell."

"Maybe you don't need my lessons."

"Oh really? You seem to know my friends better than me and the only time you're around them is when you're fighting them."

"That's because... uh, invitation." He pointed out as they stood on the doorstep of her parent's old house.

She unlocked the door and stepped inside. "Don't kill me." Spike rolled his eyes. "Come in, Spike." She said, stepping back as he entered.

"Now, d'you know why I know your friends so bloody well?"

"No."

The vampire motioned for her to sit on the couch while he closed the door then took off his jacket, putting it on the coat-rack as he sat beside her. "When you're fighting every little insecurity about you is out there staring you in the face. How the hell do you think I know that Slutty's still 'ung up over Angel?"

"She is? Oh, well, I knew she was getting over him because she has Riley now..." She was cut off as Spike started tsking her. "What?"

"The slayer, person who is supposed to kill us vampires, fell in love with one. Now that's pretty hefty in itself, 'ey, so this is her first *true* love." He rolled his eyes and tried not to gag. "One with a soul no less. He put her on a pedestal so high she couldn't see the ground. He was her first, right, so she made him out to be this dream guy. She sends him, ol' soulboy, to hell and he returns. She thinks he returns for her and it goes on from there. She's still recovering."

The wiccan was watching him in awe as he described everything perfectly. "How'd you know so much?"

"Well, that time I kidnapped you for the spell? Ran into 'er. And 'er Angel boy. Lookin' at each other longingly..." He said it like he was about to vomit. "Glancin' at each other when the other wasn't lookin'... bloody obvious if you ask me."

"Love is blind." Willow sighed.

"Blind as a bat, Luv."

The two sighed. "Love hurts."

"I remember sayin' somethin' like that once." The vampire replied as he took on a look of thought. "Oh yeah. 'armony. Now, was that a few nights ago or was that around the time with the Gem of Amara?" He started thinking again then shrugged. "Doesn't matter."

"Why'd you get together with *Harmony* anyway?" She asked with a giggle.

"She's a vampire, she's sexy, she's helpless... well, she was. Started readin' those women's self help books." Now the blond shuddered. "If I closed my eyes I could almost imagine it was Dru. Long hair, cold body, face was the same shape. Then she'd talk and I'd try and stop myself from staking her." He smiled a little. "I did once. She had the gem on. Bloody shame that was."

"I wonder if she'd still be annoying as a pile of dust." Mused Willow.

Spike chuckled. "Probably. Clog up the vacuum most likely." They both laughed. "But, now I have to set a time for our first lesson. Free tomorrow?"

"You still want to teach me? Oh-okay. Tomorrow, and I'll get here a little while before sunset so we can have the lesson and you can go feed."

<She doesn't mind me feeding. Weird chit.> "How'll you get back to the dorms? It'll be dark by the time I'm finished." Before Willow could answer he but in. "How many rooms are there here?"

"My parents'... and mine."

"You in yours. I'll take the old folk's room. Where is it?" They both stood as Willow showed him where to go, totally oblivious that she'd let a killer in her home. To her... it was just Spike. As harmless as a puppy. A very ferocious puppy that like to maul it's victims and go on the rampage every now and again... but a puppy no less! Spike joked about her mother's choice in wallpaper to which she agreed whole-heartedly. He pulled out a photo album and flipped through it while Willow was out of the room. He saw a picture of her when she was about 4, sitting on a swing with two little pigtails and a picture she drew in her hands. He smiled when he saw it was a star, a pentagram. He took the photo out of the album and had an urge to keep it. Slipping it in his pocket he put the album back where it was and a few moments later, Willow returned. "Ah, the lass brings gifts." He said as he put a hand to his dead heart while she rolled her eyes and handed him a towel and robe.

"For a shower, Spike." She said with a giggle.

He smirked. "Do I get company with that?" Willow gasped as he grinned at her. Well, that broke the ice. She blushed and left the room in a hurry with Spike laughing behind her. She quickly called Giles to pick her up and take her back to the dorms while he was still in Sunnydale. Tomorrow night, everyone would lose the ex-watcher to the council again as he went back to England to train the new line of watchers.